PSPad is a freeware programmer's editor for Microsoft Windows operating systems. It can be used as a mere text editor, but it provides many features especially suited for programmers.
PSPad is free for commercial and government purposes too.
Who should use PSPad
PSPad suits well to anyone who:
- works with various programming environments,
- likes highlighted syntax in source code,
- needs a small tool with simple controls yet very configurable if need be,
- is looking for a tool that handles plain text as well as rich text (PSPad offers rich text formating functions).
PSPad can be used for "just" text editing as well as for programming.
PSPad does not require installation, it can be simply unpacked into any directory and used as is.
PSPad includes many features that make it a powerful tool for programmers:
- ability to tab between multiple open projects,
- save desktop sessions to later reopen all session files,
- FTP client - edit files directly from the web,
- macro recorder to record, save and load macros,
- search and replace in files,
- text difference with color-coded differences highlighted,
- templates (scripts, code templates, HTML, PHP, Pascal, JScript, VBScript, MySQL, MS-Dos, Perl, etc.),
- syntax highlighting according to file type (color syntax highlight printing and print preview),
- matching bracket highlighting,
- auto correction,
- intelligent internal HTML preview using IE and Mozilla,
- full HEX editor,
- integrated TiDy library for formatting and checking HTML code, conversion to CSS, XML, XHTML,
- integrated free version of the top CSS editor TopStyle Lite,
- ASCII chart with HTML entities,
- spell checker.